European Regional Executive Committee
The European Regional Executive Committee (REXCom) represents ICLEI’s Members in Europe.
Åsa Karlsson Björkmarker, representing Växjö (Sweden)
- Degree in social science from University of Växjö
- 1999-2003 board member in the Social Democratic Youth
- Member of City Council of Växjö since 2002
- 2010-2014 Chairman of the Social Democratic party in Växjö
- Currently Member of the Executive board in Växjo, Deputy Mayor, responsible for strategic environmental issues
- Åsa Karlsson Björkmarker is the Chair of the European REXCom
Anna-Kaisa Heinämäki, Deputy Mayor, Tampere (Finland)
- Master of Social Sciences (2006) and Master of Sciences (2013) from Tampere University.
- Graduated as a Police officer from the Police Academy (2001)
- From 2002 to 2013 Heinämäki worked as a chief inspector, superintendent and senior detective constable at the Pirkanmaa police department, specialising in community policing and security planning.
- From 2013 to 2015 she worked as a chief inspector at the Ministry of Interior and at the National Police Board, specialising in security planning for urban areas and countering violent radicalisation, hate crimes and domestic violence.
- Elected as city Councillor of Tampere in 2009 and was re-elected in 2013 and in 2017.
- Vice member of the state parliament for the Green Party since 2011.
- In 2015 Heinämäki was elected as Deputy Mayor of the City of Tampere with responsibilities for local business development, culture, sports and secondary education.
- Heinämäki was elected as Deputy Mayor of growth, innovation and competitiveness for the period 2017-2021. Chair of the Housing and Real Estate Committee and Committee for Growth, Innovation and Competitiveness
Dario Nardella, Mayor of Florence (Italy)
- Studied law at the University of Florence (Italy)
- Obtained a Ph.D in Public Law, Construction and Environmental Law
- Professor of Cultural Heritage Law, University of Florence
- 2004: Elected as Councillor for the city of Florence (Democratic Party)
- 2009: Elected as Deputy Mayor of Florence
- 2013: Elected as Member of the Italian Parliament. Member of the Commission for Tourism, Industry and Trade, Chamber of Deputies
- 2014: Resigns as Member of Parliament (MP)
- 2014: Elected as Mayor of Florence
- 2014: Elected as ANCI coordinator for the metropolitan cities (national municipal association.
Magdalena Piasecka, Deputy Mayor, Wrocław (Poland)
- In 2006 graduated from the University of Wrocław with M.A. in History
- In 2006 was awarded a scholarship under the International Visitor Leadership Program "NGOs and Civic Activism" and participated in a training course in the United States, funded by the U.S. Department of State in Washington, D.C.
- Member of the Meeting Professionals International Association, since 2008
- 2008 – 2017: President of the Board at Convention Bureau, Wrocław
- 2010 – 2012: Chair of the Wrocław Women's Board
- Since 2010, she has worked as a Lecturer at the Wrocław School of Banking and the University of Business in Wrocław
- 2010 – 2016: Cooperated with the Atlantic Council (AC), an American foreign policy think-tank
- Current Deputy Mayor of Wrocław in charge of Sustainable Development, Education, and Public Housing Resources Management
Dr Dieter Salomon, Mayor of Freiburg (Germany)
- Born in 1960 in Melbourne, Australia, and grew up in the Allgäu region, South Germany, since age four
- Received a PhD in political science at the University of Freiburg in 1991
- From 1990 to 2000 Dr. Salomon was a member of the faction of the Green Party at the city council of the City of Freiburg
- From 1992 to 2002 elected member of the state parliament of Baden-Württemberg for the Green Party
- In 2002 Dr. Salomon was elected as Mayor of the City of Freiburg and was re-elected in 2010
- Since 2011 Dr. Salomon holds the position of Vice President of the Association of Municipal Councils of the Federal State of Baden-Württemberg
- He is also Chairperson of the Board of the Employers Association of Municipalities of the Federal State of Baden-Württemberg.
- In 2013 Mayor Salomon assumed the role of Vice President of the German Association of Cities (in previous years he was a member of the Steering Committee)